History

The history of 1876

The old stone courthouse that stands on the corner of Ballarat Street, under large Sequoia trees “Trees of Justice”, is a distinctive & much valued landmark of Queenstown.

The first representatives of law & order in the Queenstown area were the wardens of the goldfields, appointed for their knowledge of the Mining Act. They worked out of two tents which functioned as the gold receiver’s office, sleeping quarters & courthouse.

The old stone courthouse building was erected between November 1875 and September 1876. It was built from the local schist, with a corrugated iron roof. 

The Old Courthouse is one of the few structures that survive from Queenstown’s early gold mining days.

 

Now over 130 years on 1876 offers an upmarket menu, relaxed atmosphere, great service & friendly staff. With the option of indoor and outdoor dining 1876 is definitely the place to be. During the long summer months, the huge sun-drenched deck will host various activities & live music…